Title The STE(A)M Education European Roadmap
Programme Horizon Europe
Project Number 101058569
Start – End Date 01/09/2022 – 31/08/2025
Duration 36 months
Action HORIZON-WIDERA-2021-ERA-01-70 – HORIZON-CSA
Funding Agency European Commission
Total Project Funding €1.749.035,00
Project Homepage n/a
Europe needs more scientists and Europe needs a science literate society. The Green Deal, digital transformation of health and response to the COVID-19 pandemic all call for more highly educated scientists. In order to increase the uptake of STEM careers to feed the talent pipeline, a plan of action is needed to encourage more interest for STEM and ensure that the skills of graduates meet the needs of society and industry.”
The ‘STE(A)M approach’ – activities and teaching methods that link Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education to All (A) other disciplines, including Arts, societal challenges, and broader context – is vital for achieving these objectives. However, the quality of provision is unevenly developed, and the approaches currently adopted by different organisations, Member States, and teachers, are fragmented and have failed to deliver the systemic changes needed to address the above challenges.
The project aims to contribute to future policy actions in the area of STE(A)M education and labour market by
- developing a ‘STE(A)M roadmap’ for science education. The main goals of this roadmap are to:
- promote strategies focused on increasing the uptake of science careers (quantitative skills mismatch)
- improve alignment of education with the needs of society and industry (qualitative skills mismatch)
- improve the learning continuum between 2nd and 3rd level education and between education and business
- promote science education mainstreaming in funded projects
The specific objectives of the project are to:
- Collect and monitor existing policies and practices
- Foster exchange and dialogue among all the stakeholders
- Perform needs, gaps, and impact analysis
- Produce recommendations and outreach
- A complete Roadmap relevant for every stakeholder in education that will outline the different paths to take to support students from all education levels and paths sufficiently.
- Improve education policy and reinforce the status of integrated STE(A)M education.
- Bring closer schools with their local communities and industry to raise awareness on STEM careers.
- Initiate and triggers potential policy reforms or experimentations in STEM education at national level